Opening Principle via Safari doesn't work

It seems like you can’t open the Principle file when you click on “Open in Principle” via Safari.

I remember this was possible before but now when you click on “Open in Principle,” it opens up the Principle Mirroring app but the prototype doesn’t load.

It works if I do it via Chrome or if I download the Dropbox app. The verbiage seems different too. It seems to work when it says “Copy to Principle.” Is there a fix for this without having to use Chrome or download the Dropbox app?

That’s a bug in safari. From safari, You could share the file to another app like files, then share to Principle from there

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if this will be fixed in the future?

I assume that Apple will fix it at some point, but I do not have any additional information about it.

I feel it’s the developer’s responsibility to address and solve issues like this. Instead of being a bit dismissive if a direct fix is not possible due to a third party, probing around the exploration of possibilities and solutions would be beneficial.

It seems many of us are having a very difficult time getting prototypes to colleagues and stakeholders, as well as users for testing. And looking toward the future with something cloud-based and/or generating a unique link to the .prd seems worthwhile — yet at the same time we’re aware that invokes other dependencies such as embedded fonts should the assets not be imported from Figma/Sketch.

While sharing prototypes isn’t necessarily a ‘feature’ in the app and its creation of animations, it certainly is a significant part of the design process.

Agree with you @Phipps, I don’t get why is so damm difficult to share a prototype with other people, this should be one of the top priorities to fix.

what did you switch to?

I went with ProtoPie and have built quite a bit with it. They have a different interaction model that I like a lot. And, sending links to prototypes has been huge and you can also work with dynamic data with variables and formulas, utilize native device sensors, audio and video, component libraries, the cloud, teams, etc.

It’s not perfect, but what I love is that they’re actively involved with the community and are transparent about what they’re reviewing and building which is based on consensus, so I saw that as a reason to invest time in it as it will continue to improve.

@shonen @Phipps The beta that is out now has one-click share to web. people can view your prototypes in the browser without having to install anything. https://twitter.com/principleapp/status/1348717064144478210

Full Version out now: https://www.principle.app/posts/principle-six.html